Includes 7 CME Credits / MOCPoints / CE
INTERPRET BASIC METABOLIC PANEL (CHEM-7) RESULTS WITH CONFIDENCE
The basic metabolic panel (BMP), also known as the "CHEM-7," is one of the most commonly ordered lab tests by clinicians in the hospital and the outpatient setting.
Unfortunately, many physicians, PAs, NPs, RTs, and other clinicians make common interpretation mistakes - and most have not learned to unlock the full and great potential of the BMP.
Join renowned professor Roger Seheult, MD as he concisely explains the key components of the BMP that you need to know... from managing creatinine problems to clarity on hyponatremia.
After this series of short videos and quizzes, you'll be on your way to accurately interpret BMP results and save time in the process.
WHO IS THIS COURSE FOR?
Clinicians (MD, DO, NP, PA, RN, RTs) and students in a variety of specialties that order BMPs.
WHO IS THE INSTRUCTOR?
Dr. Roger Seheult is trusted by Universities, clinicians, and students for his ability to illustrate key concepts so they are understood, not memorized...
...and clearunderstanding leads to mastery of BMP results interpretation. Learn more about Dr. Seheult.
WHAT YOU'll RECEIVE FROM THIS COURSE:
- A clear understandingof each possible BMP result: hyper and hyponatremia, hyper and hypokalemia, chloride and bicarbonate problems, BUN and creatinine problems, and hyper and hypoglycemia
- Initial management and treatment recommendations based on the BMP result
- Guidelines for when to order a BMP, and tips for following serial BMPs
- A clinical perspective of BMP nuances, pitfalls, and patterns
- Quick quiz questions to reinforce core concepts and help you study
- Includes 7 CME Credits/MOC Points/CE
- 1 year of unlimited access on up to 3 devices
Start watching now (the first video is free and at the top of this page) and move towards mastery of the BMP!
Intro and Understanding Sodium
- Basic Metabolic Panel: Introduction 1
- Basic Metabolic Panel: Introduction 2 (free preview) free trial
- Quiz 1
- Understanding Sodium
- Quiz 2
- Hypernatremia - Basics
- Quiz 3
- Hypernatremia - Hypovolemic
- Quiz 4
- Hypernatremia - Hypervolemic
- Quiz 5
- Hypernatremia - Isovolemic
- Quiz 6
- Hypernatremia - Treatment
- Quiz 7
- Hyponatremia - Isotonic
- Quiz 8
- Hyponatremia - Hypertonic
- Quiz 9
- Hyponatremia - Hypotonic Hypovolemia
- Quiz 10
- Hyponatremia - Hypotonic Hypervolemia
- Quiz 11
- Hyponatremia - Hypotonic Isovolemia
- Quiz 12
- Hyponatremia - Treatment
- Quiz 13
[ Click to see more content ]
Congratulations! CME Certificate
- Your CME Certificate
The basic metabolic panel (BMP), also known as "CHEM-7", is one of the most commonly ordered lab tests by clinicians in the hospital and outpatient settings. However, many clinicians make common interpretation mistakes - and most have not learned to unlock the full potential of the BMP.
Learners will gain a clear understanding of each possible BMP result: hyper and hyponatremia, hyper and hypokalemia, chloride and bicarbonate problems, BUN and creatinine problems, and hyper and hypoglycemia and learn the initial management and treatment recommendations based on the BMP result. Furthermore, clinicians will learn the guidelines of when to order a BMP, tips for following serial BMPs, and gain a clinical perspective of BMP nuances, pitfalls, and patterns. This CME course will utilize a combination of videos, quizzes, and systematic discussion of clinical scenarios and practice cases to effectively deliver the course content.
As a result of this educational activity, participants should be better able to:
- Describe what each value of the basic metabolic panel represents physiologically, as well as identify when and how frequently to order a basic metabolic panel.
- Explain the significance of either an abnormally high or low result in each category of the basic metabolic panel.
- Distinguish the therapeutics involved with each abnormal value and explain what considerations, if any, need to be addressed before correcting the results.
Post-Test and Evaluation:
After completing the CME activity, you must successfully complete a post-test and fill out a program evaluation form. You will then be able to view and print your CME certificate.
Roger D. Seheult, MD
Pulmonary, Critical Care, and Sleep Medicine
Beaver Medical Group, Redlands, CA
Associate Clinical Professor
UC Riverside School of Medicine, Riverside, CA
Assistant Professor of Medicine
Loma Linda University School of Medicine
Loma Linda, CA
AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™: This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) through the joint providership of Continuing Education Company, Inc. and MedCram, LLC. Continuing Education Company, Inc. (CEC) is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Continuing Education Company, Inc. designates this enduring material for a maximum of 7AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
ABIM MOC: Successful completion of this CME activity, which includes participation in the evaluation component, enables the participant to earn up to 7 Medical Knowledge MOC points in the American Board of Internal Medicine's (ABIM) Maintenance of Certification (MOC) program. Participants will earn MOC points equivalent to the amount of CME credits claimed for the activity. It is the CME activity provider's responsibility to submit participant completion information to ACCME for the purpose of granting ABIM MOC credit.
To receive CME credit and/or MOC points, you MUST complete the activity and the evaluation form. For ABIM MOC points, your information will be shared with the ABIM through the ACCME Program and Activity Reporting System (PARS). Please allow 6-8 weeks for your MOC points to appear on your ABIM records.
AAPA: AAPA accepts certificates of participation for educational activities certified for AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ from organizations accredited by ACCME or a recognized state medical society. Physician assistants may receive a maximum of 7 hours of Category I credit for completing this activity.
AANPCB: The American Academy of Nurse Practitioners Certification Board (AANPCB) accepts AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ from organizations accredited by the ACCME.
Release Date: 11/6/2020
Expiration Date: 11/6/2023 (Date after which this enduring material is no longer certified for credit.)
Medium: Enduring Material, Video/Audio
Faculty/Planning Committee Disclosures
The following individuals have indicated that he/she (nor spouse/partner) have no relevant financial relationships with a commercial interest that may impact upon this CME activity:
- Beth Townsend – Reviewer (Continuing Education Company)
- Roger Seheult, MD- Faculty
- Kyle Allred, PA – Planner & Content Developer (MedCram)
Roger Seheult, MD (Faculty) has no relevant financial relationships to disclose.
Unlabeled Use Declaration:
During their presentation, faculty may discuss unlabeled or investigational use which is not approved for a commercial product. Faculty members are required to disclose this information to the audience when referring to an unlabeled or investigational use.
Statement of Disclosure and Independence:
It is the policy of Continuing Education Company (CEC) to ensure all of its accredited educational activities are designed, implemented, and evaluated in accordance with the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education’s (ACCME) Criteria and Policies. In accordance with ACCME requirements, CEC has Conflict of Interest (COI) and Disclosure Policies that are designed to ensure that accredited educational activities are fair, balanced, independent, evidence-based, and based on scientific rigor.
All individuals who are in position to influence and/or control content of a CEC accredited Continuing Medical Education (CME) activity must disclose any relevant financial interest or other relationships which they or their spouse/partner have with (a) with the manufacturer(s) of any commercial products(s) and/or provider(s) of commercial services discussed in an educational presentation and (b) with any commercial supporters of the activity. (Relevant financial interest or other relationship includes such things as grants or research support, employee, consultant, major stockholder, member of speakers’ bureau, etc.) The intent of this disclosure is to provide activity participants with information to determine whether the speaker’s interests or relationships may influence the presentation with regard to exposition or conclusions. All potential conflicts of interest have been identified and resolved, and are listed above.
The opinions, ideas, recommendations, and perspectives expressed in the syllabus and accompanying presentations at this activity are those of the program authors and presenting faculty only and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, ideas, recommendations or perspectives of their affiliated institutions, Continuing Education Company, advisory boards or consultants.
Flash Player 10 or later, and one of the following browsers:
- Windows: Internet Explorer 6 and later, Microsoft Edge (latest version), Firefox 1.x and later, Google Chrome (latest version), Opera 9.5 and later
- Mac: Safari 3 and later, Firefox 1.x and later, Google Chrome (latest version)
- Linux: Firefox 1.x and later
HTML5 via one of the following browsers:
- Windows: Google Chrome (latest version)
- Mac: Safari 6.0.5 or later, Google Chrome (latest version)
- Mobile: Safari in Apple iOS 6 or later
Roger Seheult M.D. is approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider # CEP16824. This course is approved for 7 CE contact hours.
MUSTAFA KAREEM , MD
STEVE BAILES, MD
AHMED SHEKABDURAHMAN, RN
HEATHER BERRY (NP Student)
excellent presentation and information
ANTHONY OMBOGO, MD
best explanation of sodium based problems and treatments I have ever seen.
STEVEN FITZMORRIS, MD
Excellent. The frequent post tests help make sure that you picked up the concepts.
CONNIE PETTY, NP
ADEYINKA AKINBAMI, NP
MARTHA CASTRO, MD
- Quadruple Board Certified in Internal Medicine, Pulmonary Medicine, Critical Care, and Sleep Medicine.
- Over 20 years teaching experience as both an exam preparation instructor and an assistant professor of medicine.
- Experience as a medical director for both a Southern California Physician Assistant Program and a Respiratory Therapy Program.
Click here for full bio